Core Cultural Learning: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australia Foundation Course
What is Core?
Core Cultural Learning: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australia (Core) Foundation Course is an innovative online course developed to strengthen your organisation’s cultural capability. It is designed to be informative, interactive and to create a greater awareness of the vast history and cultural heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Where did it come from?
Core has been developed by the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (AIATSIS), the world’s premier research, collecting and publishing organisation for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, cultures and languages, in partnership with the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and the Department of Social Services. Core builds on AIATSIS’ years of research and involvement in cultural competence initiatives and is informed by AIATSIS’ research collaboration with the University of Sydney’s National Centre for Cultural Competency.
What does it cover?
See Core Module Descriptions for a full list.
Why should I do it?
Core provides a detailed exploration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and issues, as a means of assisting you to enhance your cultural understanding; gain a deeper sense of self-awareness and critical reflection; and enhance your personal and professional capacity to engage respectfully and effectively in an intercultural context.
The program is designed to encourage people to understand their own cultural perspectives as the basis for effective interactions with people of (other) diverse backgrounds.
In brief, Core Cultural Learning: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australia Foundation Course:
- comprises 10 interactive modules;
- provides a foundational framework for individual learning as well as a basis for collective learning;
- includes learning activities and allows for critical self-reflection;
- encourages participants to undertake further study and activities — additional reading, links and other resources are embedded throughout the course;
- promotes dialogue between participants and their supervisors; and
- contributes to cultural safety in workplaces.
For any enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org