Vast amounts of information about people, country and culture are collected during the native title claim process, and post-determination management of native title. As a result many native title groups and their representatives share the same problem: how do you best manage this mountain of information?
The information assets created by native title claims are large, complex and of historical, cultural and economic value to current and future members of native title groups, as well as to the nation more broadly.
The Managing Information in Native Title project explores the use of the material collected through this process, including appropriate management, storage and return of information created in the context of native title and heritage.
This project will examine the current practices among Native Title Representative Bodies (NTRBs) and Prescribed Bodies Corporate (PBCs). It will begin to develop a set of guidelines for the return of materials to PBCs and explore what the materials can be used for in the future.
Presentations and Workshops
McGrath, P, Dinkler, L & Andriolo, A, ‘Managing Information in Native Title Workshop’ at the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra., 16-17 March 2015
Dinkler, L ‘Outcomes from a workshop on managing information in native title’, presentation at Native Title Conference 2015: Leadership, Legacy and Opportunity, 16 June 2015.
McGrath, P, Dinkler, L & Andriolo, A 2015, Managing Information in Native Title: survey and workshop report, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, Canberra.
Further reading and resources
- The future of connection material held by Native Title Representative Bodies: Final report
- History and Native Title: The making of a community asset
- Report on workshop for NTRBs on databases and access and use issues
- Brief list of online resources for preservation and information on Indigenous studies
- Report on breakout session: The future of connection material
- Report on survey of NTRBs (April-May 2005)
- Anthropology and connection reports in Native Title claim applications